Pointing People To Jesus

MBC Church History and Select Key Events

On September 30, 1833 a group of dedicated men and women met together to establish MBC. They met in a new meeting house constructed on land purchased from Mr. Henry Thornton. Elders Elisha Collins and Elijah W. Roach of the Appomattox Baptist Association were present. The consitiution was accepted on February 22, 1834 with a membership of 13 men and 15 women. Mr. Baylor Walker was the first clerk and Mr. Banjamin Carther and Mr. Baylor Walker the first deacons of MBC.

1837 Ten-day revival, 100 conversions, 60 baptisms.
1866 Daniel, a black man, licensed to preach to his people.
1878 Pastor Elijah Roach preached at Mosaic Temple to form an arm of Midway.
1881 48 members were granted letters to Mosaic Temple, known today as Bethel Baptist Church.
1885 Mr. J.W. Myers named clerk, served 47 years.
1892 New house of worship constructed. Mr. W.T. Jordan organized the W.M.S. and served as the first president.
1915 The Reverend Frank S. Cabiness ordained to preach.
1921 W.M.S. reorganized under the leadership of Reverend R.S. Crawley and Mrs. Gracie Pillow.
1933 MBC celebrated their 100th anniversary of church founding at which time there were 284 members.
1944 First Vacation Bible School was conducted at Midway Baptist Church
1949 Ground broken for a new house of worship dedicated on Mother’s Day.
1960 Parsonage constructed on land given by Mr. C.S. Sublett, Sr.
1968 Sanctuary enlarged, educational building added; note burned 1971.
1977 W.M.U reorganized, Mrs. Welford Whitlow first director at Midway Baptist Church
1983 MBC celebrated their 150th anniversary on September 25th, more than 450 people in attendance.
1988 Stained glass windows installed in sanctuary and parsonage improved. MBC had 209 resident members and 61 non-resident members.
1992 The Woman’s Missionary Union marked the 100th anniversary of its founding.
1993 Jordan and Hamlet memorial ramp constructed, new carpet and indirect lighting installed in the sanctuary, sound system improved, Sunday School rooms renovated, Poindexter and Petty memorial benches and table placed in oak grove. The 5th Sunday’s offering in August ($1,448.54) was sent to flood victims in Illinois. There were 227 resident members, and 68 non-resident members.
1995 College student hired on part-time to work with youth. Steeple atop church illuminated.
1996 Midway Baptist Church Cemetery Endowment Fund established.
1997 Playground equipment installed for toddlers. New hymnals placed in church as memorials.
1998 Roof of the church replaced. Resident members 248, non-resident members 66.
2000 Church members voted to construct a two-story building consisting of new fellowship hall and classrooms.
2002 Easter Sunday, March 31, ground broken for new addition.
2003 In June the new fellowhip hall was completed. The Reverend Christopher M. Kesler was ordained into the ministry. Resident members 286, non-resident members 79.
2004 August, new fellowship hall and Sunday School rooms dedicated. September, Reverend Larry Wollbrink ordained into the ministry.
2005 May, service to honor and remember all cancer victims of Midway’s church family.
2008 June, there were 17 church members who traveled to Sao Paulo, Brazil on a mission trip.

September church membership was 460. Celebrated church’s175th anniversary. During this time the church has had 30 pastors, 1 associate pastor, 1 youth ministry pastor, 20 clerks and 14 treasurers.

2009 Mission Team of 24 travels to Baltimore, Maryland to perform various community services that included the Curtis Bay Recreation Center, a library, making a stew to deliver to the homeless, and several buildings that were in need of repair.

Midway sent a mission team of adults and youth to paint the interior of a couple of Charlotte County Public Schools.

2010 Youth pastor, Chris Kelser lead a mission team of youth and adults on a local mission project in Randolph, Virginia for the Brooks family.

A mission team, composed of 22 members, travels to Trinidad to conduct Vacation Bible School in a local church.

2011 Mission Team goes to Alaska from July 26th to August 3rd to assist with Salmon Frenzy ministry project where they provide a safe place for children to play, while serving free hot dogs, water, and hot cocoa so that we could connect with locals and share the gospel. They were also to visit Rob and Angela Way in Homer to see what God had lead them to do in the mission field.

Wayne Pillow’s family placed blue cushions in his memory on the church pews.

A new constitution was written and adapted.

Lloyd Holt and Coleen Latham deeded the basketball and tennis courts to the church.

2012 Mission team conducts Vacation Bible School in a New York City Church while another mission team travels to South Dakota to make improvements on the buildings at Sunshine Bible Academy. Former members Jason & Kristina Watson operate the academy.

Ricardo and Kristin Hosein commissioned as missionaries to Children’s Evangelistic Fellowship in Hawaii

2013 Mission team composed of 19 travels to Canada to assist Dominic Chaussé with the urban church plant Axe21 in Magog. While there they assisted with “Moving Day” with 21 moves.

Church celebrated its 180th Anniversary in September. It has had 30 pastors, 1 associated pastor, 1 youth pastor, 21 clerks and 15 treasurers.

2014 Mission Team returns to Magog to continue helping with the church plant as well as “Moving Day”.
2015 Mission team returns to Magog for the 3rd time to continue working with Axe21 church plant in getting ready to opening church services on September 27, 2015 and also assisted with “Moving Day.”

Midway presented Ricardo Hosein with his Certificate of License for the The Gospel Ministry.

—Joyce Green, Church Historian

Pastors of Midway Baptist Church


Elder Elijah Roach………………………………………………………… 1833–1842 and 1874–1883

Elder Dodson………………………………………………………………………………………. 1843–1844

Elder McLocklin……………………………………………………………………………………. 1844–1845

Elder Samuel Davidson…………………………………………………………………………. 1846–1847

Elder Jenkins……………………………………………………………………………………….. 1847–1848

Elder John Mason…………………………………………………………………………………. 1851–1853

Elder R. E. Booker………………………………………………………………………………… 1853–1856

Elder O. Ellyson……………………………………………………………………………………. 1872–1873

Elder E.A. Leonard……………………………………………………………………………….. 1883–1884

Elder Arthur Scruggs……………………………………………………………………………… 1884–1885

Elder E.B. Dillard…………………………………………………………………………………… 1886–1887

Reverend William Fisher………………………………………………………………………… 1888–1898

Reverend Je. E. Reeves…………………………………………………………………………. 1899–1902

Reverend G. A. Chocklett………………………………………………… 1903–1908 and 1911–1920

Reverend A.J.Coons………………………………………………………………………………. 1909–1910

Reverend R.A. Cawley……………………………………………………………………………. 1920–1923

Reverend H.L. Thomas…………………………………………………………………………… 1923–1924

Reverend J. H. Gordon……………………………………………………………………………. 1924–1929

Reverend H.C. Wade………………………………………………………………………………. 1930–1933

Reveren N.L. Loflin…………………………………………………………………………………. 1934–1946

Reverend L. P. Brown……………………………………………………………………………… 1947–1956

Reverend Glenn Hattfield…………………………………………………………………………. 1958–1962

Reverend Sam Crawford………………………………………………………………………….. 1963–1964

Reverend Ben Hall…………………………………………………………………………………… 1965–1968

Reverend Joe Knowles…………………………………………………………………………….. 1968–1969

Reverend Robert Southerland Rogers…………………………. (First full time Pastor) 1970–1976

Reverend Orma Burnett (Interim)……………………………………………………………….. 1977–1978

Reverend D. Randall Walton……………………………………………………………………… 1978–1981

Reverend Lee Stocks (Interim)…………………………………………………………………… 1981–1982

Reverend Leon L. Scott…………………………………………………………………………….. 1983–1985

Reverend Patrick Collins……………………………………………………………………………. 1986–1996

Reverend Ronald Mohlmaster (Interim)……………………………………………………….. 1996–1997

Reverend Joey Anthony…………………………………………………………………………….. 1997–2015

Reverend Chistopher Kesler (Associate/Youth Pastor)……………………………….. 2000–Present

From 1857 to 1872 there are no minutes of church sessions or worship services.